Your past will either propel you or paralyze you.
When I was little I had the very first Nintendo gaming console. Looking at it now it seems really simple but back then it was amazing. On the front of the console were two buttons, power and reset. If I messed up on one of the games I was playing all I had to do was hit the reset button and I was back to the beginning. Like I had done nothing wrong. This first-generation Nintendo had no memory.
Sometimes I wish life was like playing my old Nintendo. If I mess up, I just hit the reset button and everything goes back to the way it was before I made a stupid move. All the relationships I have damaged, all of the consequence I have had to face, and all of time lost trying to fix the mess could all just go away if I had a reset button. That would be so amazing, right? We all know there is no such thing as a reset button for life, but there are some steps we can take to keep our past from derailing our future:
- Acknowledging you have done something wrong. Recognizing the conviction of your actions and accepting that you have messed up.
- Admitting you have done something wrong. Confessing you have messed up and telling the person you hurt that you you know you hurt them.
- Having a change of heart. Not a hollow change but true repentance from what you have done. Turning and walking in the opposite direction.
- Do whatever it takes to make things right.
- Forgive and forget, and then move on.
Do you need to take one or more of these steps today? Do you need to hit the reset button? Don’t let your past keep you trapped, release it and let it propel you into the future.